Two car bombs exploded in a Turkish town of Reyhanli, near the Syrian border, according to Reuters. The area is home to thousands of Syrian refugees fleeing that nation’s civil war.
Turkish Prime Minister Bulent Arinc said the Syrian government, led by President Bashar al-Assad, was a prime suspect in the attack.
« We know that the people taking refuge … have become targets for the Syrian regime, » Arinc said in comments broadcast on Turkish television. « We think of them as the usual suspects when it comes to planning such a horrific attack. »
No one claimed responsibility in the immediate aftermath of the attack, and the Syrian government made no statement.
Turkey has supported rebels fighting against Assad, and previously had seen some of the violence spill over into its borders. However, Saturday’s attack marked the most deadly since the Syrian conflict began two years ago.